Saturday, October 16, 2010

Getting Started

Last week was my first appointment with the doctor to decide if I was a candidate for the surgery. I already knew I was which he confirmed and set up an appointment this week with my new audiologist. He gave me a packet of information about AB (Advanced Bionics) implants to look over until I met with the audi. She will answer any and all questions.

As soon as I got home, I read every word. I didn't even know before this point there was more than one implant. I had a lot to learn! The more I read, the more questions I had. Very overwhelming! Among this packet is an online group of CI (cochlear implant) users. The HearingJourney.com has been my saving grace. I highly recommend anyone going through this at any point take a look there. There is a wealth of experience and information there. The support is incredible because no matter where you are in your journey, they have been in your shoes and KNOW what it is like.

My appointment with my new audi was a success yesterday. She is a wonderful person and had all the time I needed. I was there over an hour asking questions and didn't even realize I was there that long. When I left there, I had more choices to make. This is a once in a lifetime decision and I have to be sure to make the right choices. I have discussed these choices with people from the Hearing Journey and am comfortable with the choices I will make. Their experience is so comforting.

Once I get approval, I will be getting AB Harmony with T-Mic. I will only be doing one ear so I have decided to do the right. I am confident that once implanted, I will be able to use a phone again along with listening to music and hearing my grandchildren's voices! I am so excited! I am going to be a bionic woman! LOL

2 comments:

  1. So, I take it there is no RE-DO...it either works or you don't get a second chance?

    By the way...I just double clicked on your link on Miles and it brought me right here. You did good, girl. I'm your first follower and I will follow along. Hugs-Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. No redo! It WILL work, I have no doubt about that. It's just to what extent it will work remains to be seen. I am however an excellent candidate to do well with this and I can always get a second in the other ear later to help the first one out.

    LOL at following me. This is not a blog such as yours and I won't add things until there is something to add. I am mainly doing this so my kids know what is going on with me and for my audiologist to better help me. You are welcome of course to come along for the ride. :)

    ReplyDelete